Dogs love adventure and travel as much as humans do. But it is not very easy to carry your dog during the travel.
You should also ensure that he is comfortable and safe through the journey. So a good dog carrier is what you would first need when you plan a travel with your dog.
Choosing a good carrier for the canine member of the family might be often confusing.
There are different types of carriers available on the market. There are the standard ones approved my most airlines- these are great for air travels. There are sling carriers which come in handy when you have to carry your dog while you go for a walk.
The other common type is the one you can use during your bike ride. Dog bike carriers come in various shapes and sizes. These make it easy to carry along your dog conveniently while you travel in your bike.
Why not just let your dog sit on your bike while you ride you may ask?
It is not just inconvenient but also unsafe
Here are few reasons why you should definitely invest on a dog bike carrier if you travel in your bike a lot.
- If your dog gets excited due to some reason, you might lose your balance trying to get him in place.
- If you are holding a leash, there are lots of chances of the leash getting tangled in your hands. Again, this would be unsafe for you and your dog.
- Why not carry him in a rucksack perhaps? This would not be comfortable for your canine friend. A dog bike carrier would make him feel at home during the ride.
[amazon box=”B005CRZDQ2″ template=”horizontal”]
Here are few points to keep in mind while buying a dog bike carrier:
- There are fabric baskets, wire mesh baskets, wicker baskets and more. Then there are the trailers. Choose one that would be convenient for your ride.
- Choose a carrier that would allow enough room for your dog. Ensure that the carrier also has soft padded interiors to keep him comfortable even on bumpy roads.
You will be able to easily choose a good dog bike carrier on Amazon and that too at a good discount. Here is one of the most popular dog bike carriers.
- 1 Aosom Elite Dog Bike Carrier / Trailer – Red / Black- the best features:
- 2 What you might not like about this carrier:
- 3 How is this carrier better than its competitors?
Aosom Elite Dog Bike Carrier / Trailer – Red / Black- the best features:
Without the tow-bar, the carrier measures: (LxWxH) 31”x28”x35.5”
It is a pretty light carrier for the given dimensions and weighs merely 30lbs.
Inner dimensions: (LxWxH) 31”x22”x25”
Thick tires for better stability:
The 20” wide tires are 1.75” thick. They offer extra stability on the road.
Compact when folded:
The carrier can be easily folded. When folded it measures (LxWxH) 31”x28”x19.5”. Thus it would take up very little space and can be easily packed in your car trunk. The folded carrier can also be set up in a jiffy. Thus the storage as well as the transportation of the carrier is very convenient.
Can fit medium to large dogs:
The carrier can easily fit medium to large breeds of dogs. The carrier can carry up to 66lbs.
Though lightweight, the build quality of the carrier is topnotch. The steel frame body offers great durability.
The exterior of the carrier:
There is a polyester fabric covered enclosure built on the steel frame. This is a water resistant material. So, your dog can safely stay inside his carrier even during the rains.
Easy to access doors:
The front and back doors are both mesh doors with easy to open zip fastening. The mesh door offers enough ventilation for your pet. There is also an additional plastic cover with the front door. This cover is removable and you can add it provided you need an extra layer of protection for your dog during the wind or rains.
The other features:
- There is a hook for fastening the leash within the trailer.
- The tow bar can be easily attached to your bike. It is reasonably long to offer enough space from your wheels. At the same time, it is not too long so there would be no wobbly rides.
What you might not like about this carrier:
Here are some common points that many users do not like about this dog bike carrier:
The polyester stench:
A majority of the carrier, except the steel frame portion consists of the polyester fabric. This has a pungent chemical smell typical of polyester fabrics. Some pets might not like the smell. So it might be difficult till it fades away.
[amazon box=”B005CRZDQ2″ template=”horizontal”]
The tires aren’t great:
Some also express disappointment about the quality of the tires. They tend to get worn out easily after long term use.
Slippery floor of the carrier:
The floor of the carrier might appear a bit slippery due to the polyester. Adding a soft layer of cushion can help tackle this issue.
The mesh isn’t very durable:
If your dog is too nippy, or if he scratches a lot, the mesh doors tend to tear pretty quickly.
The instructions that are provided with the product aren’t detailed. The initial assembly and the attachment of the trailer to the bike can be a bit tedious without understanding the process.
How is this carrier better than its competitors?
Here are some reasons why people prefer this carrier to the other similar models on the market.
- Easy storage:Once put together, the carrier can be easily folded and conveniently stored. This makes it great to be carried during a travel.
- Best price for the features: With ample features, this is a great value for money carrier for your dog.
- Sturdy build: The steel frame construction is quite strong. So it can easily carry even larger dogs. The trailer also feels stable behind the bike. Thus it offers a smooth ride for the pet and a worry free ride for the rider.
- Roomy interiors: The interior of the carrier is roomy and of the right size to accommodate your dog. This would ensure that your dog doesn’t feel cramped and at the same time ensuring that he feels safe.
The final verdict:
Some pet lovers carry their dogs in their sling. But carrying him in a sling carrier during a bike ride might not be safest choice.
This would also not be possible for bigger dogs. There are also bike baskets which you can buy cheap. But this again might not be great for larger dogs. Your bike should also have the provision to snugly hold the basket.
Instead of worrying about all these, the best, hassle-free option is to go for a dog bike trailer
These can be easily attached to your bike and can let your ride without a worry about your dog.
If you are looking for a bike trailer that can easily fit a medium to large sized dog, this dog bike carrier Aosom is a great choice. This is also one of the best value for money thanks to its durable steel frame construction.
Except for the tires that wear out easily, this carrier can easily last a good few years. Thus you can explore the wild in your bike with your dog secure in his mobile home.